The LG QNED85 is a mid-range 4k television model from LG's 2022 QNED lineup. It incorporates advanced technologies like a quantum dot color filter and LG's NanoCell technology, which together offer a broad spectrum of colors. Moreover, the model features a Mini LED full array backlight that enhances its dark scene performance and reduces blooming. The TV's native contrast ratio is 1,304:1, with a peak brightness of 501 cd/m² in HDR, indicating excellent contrast and brightness capabilities.
This television model is equipped with a 4k resolution and provides a variety of input options, including four HDMI ports, two USB ports, an optical audio out, and Ethernet support. The LG QNED85 also offers an optional black frame insertion (BFI) feature and motion interpolation to enhance the motion appearance. In terms of display resolutions, it supports variable refresh rate (VRR) technology, which reduces screen tearing. The TV is compatible with HDMI Forum VRR, FreeSync, and G-SYNC Compatible, making it a versatile choice for various uses, including gaming, watching shows, and sports, or as a PC monitor.
The LG QNED85 runs on the webOS smart platform, version 22, providing users with easy access to a variety of apps and features. Despite some ads throughout, the interface is user-friendly. The TV consumes around 70W on average and up to 157W at its maximum power consumption. In terms of sound quality, the TV offers a balanced sound profile with clear dialogue. However, it's worth noting that there may be some noticeable distortion at higher volumes. The model is available in multiple sizes, including 55", 65", 75", and 86", making it a suitable choice for different room sizes and viewing preferences.
Captivating Television Specifications
|Picture Quality||Mid-range 4k TV with quantum dot color filter and LG's NanoCell technology. Features Mini LED full array backlight, native contrast ratio of 1,304:1, and peak brightness of 501 cd/m² in HDR.|
|Display Resolutions||4k resolution|
|Input Ports||Four HDMI ports (3 and 4 with HDMI 2.1 bandwidth), two USB ports, an optical audio out, and support for Ethernet.|
|Dimensions||Available in multiple sizes, including 55", 65", 75", and 86".|
|Black Frame Insertion||Optional black frame insertion (BFI) feature to improve appearance of motion.|
|Motion Interpolation||Supports motion interpolation to enhance smoothness of motion.|
|Refresh Rate||Supports variable refresh rate (VRR) technology to reduce screen tearing. Compatible with HDMI Forum VRR, FreeSync, and G-SYNC Compatible.|
|Power Consumption||Consumes around 70W on average and up to 157W at maximum power consumption.|
|Smart Features||Runs on the webOS smart platform, version 22, providing access to various apps and features.|
|Sound Quality||Decent sound quality with clear dialogue and balanced sound profile. However, there may be some noticeable distortion at higher volumes.|
Unleash a Spectacular Viewing Experience with Unparalleled Versatility
The most significant feature of this television is its versatility that makes it suitable for various uses such as gaming, watching shows, sports, and even as a PC monitor.
Great Gaming Experience: With low input lag, fast response time, and support for variable refresh rate technology, this TV ensures a smooth and immersive gaming experience.
Excellent Picture Quality: The high contrast, deep blacks, and impressive HDR performance provide a captivating viewing experience.
Wide Viewing Angle: Consistent image quality from various viewing angles makes it ideal for watching sports or playing couch co-op games.
Effective as a PC Monitor: Clear text display and low input lag make it a suitable choice for use as a PC monitor.
Smart Features: Powered by webOS, this television provides access to various apps and features, enhancing the overall user experience.
Considering a Mid-Range 4K TV? Here's What You Need to Know
While the LG QNED85 is a versatile television with commendable features for mixed usage, it does come with a few potential drawbacks that you should consider before making a purchase. These include:
1. Subpar Brightness: The LG QNED85's brightness may not be sufficient for some viewers, as colors may not appear as bright compared to other models. This could potentially affect the vibrancy of the display and may be particularly noticeable in well-lit rooms.
2. Distortion at High Volumes: The sound quality of the television is generally decent, but it's reported to suffer from noticeable distortion at high volume levels. This could be a problem for those who enjoy watching action-packed movies or listening to music at high volumes.
3. Inadequate Local Dimming: While this model does offer local dimming, it may not perform as well as other models, such as the Samsung QN85B QLED or Hisense U8/U8H, which offer less blooming around bright objects in dark scenes. This can affect the overall contrast and picture quality, especially in darker scenes.
4. Limited Peak Brightness: The LG QNED85's peak brightness of 501 cd/m² may be insufficient for some users, particularly when compared to models such as the Samsung QN85B QLED and Hisense U8/U8H which offer higher brightness levels. This could affect the TV's performance in bright rooms and its ability to handle glare.
5. Ads on Smart Platform: While the TV runs on the user-friendly webOS smart platform, it's important to note that there are some ads scattered throughout the interface. This might be a potential annoyance for some users who prefer a clean, ad-free interface.
A Versatile Choice for Various Entertainment Needs
The LG QNED85 seems to be a solid choice for those seeking versatility in their TV viewing experience. Its low input lag, fast response time, and support for variable refresh rate technology make it an excellent pick for gamers. The wide viewing angle and impressive HDR performance are also beneficial for sports enthusiasts and movie lovers. However, it falls short in terms of bright color display and sound quality at high volume levels.
While it does offer some exceptional features like a wide color gamut and good motion performance, there are other models on the market that outshine it in terms of peak brightness and contrast. The LG QNED85 might not be the best pick for those who prioritize these aspects. But for those who are seeking a well-rounded TV that can handle various forms of entertainment, this could be a good fit.