The TCL 5 Series/S546 2021 QLED TV is a versatile model that offers a range of features and capabilities. It delivers a high contrast ratio, making it capable of displaying deep blacks, making it ideal for watching movies in a dark room. It handles 720p, 1080p, and 4k content well and removes judder from 24p sources. This model is also well-suited for gaming, with its low input lag, quick response time, and support for variable refresh rate. Its brightness in SDR mode is commendable, which helps to overcome glare.
This television model boasts a native contrast ratio of 7,775:1 and a local dimming feature. It supports HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision, while covering 94.12% of the DCI-P3 color space, indicating a wide color gamut. The 4K resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels) ensures high-quality pictures. For connectivity, it offers three HDMI inputs, one USB input, a digital optical audio out, an analog audio out, and composite in. The 65-inch model has two different positions for the stand, providing flexibility in setup. The TV also supports motion interpolation and variable refresh rate technology with FreeSync and HDMI Forum VRR.
The TCL 5 Series/S546 2021 QLED TV uses Google TV as its smart interface, providing access to the Google Play Store for app downloads and featuring Google Assistant for voice control. It also has an optional black frame insertion feature. Despite its many features, the TV's power consumption remains relatively low at 73W under normal operation. When compared to other models, such as the TCL Q6/Q650G QLED or the Hisense U6/U6H, the 5 Series/S546 model stands out for its high contrast ratio and variable refresh rate support, making it a competitive choice in the market.
Detailed Specifications of the QLED Television
|Picture Quality||Native contrast ratio of 7,775:1 with local dimming feature. Supports HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision. Covers 94.12% of the DCI-P3 color space.|
|Display Resolutions||4K resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)|
|Input Ports||Three HDMI inputs (HDMI 2.0 full bandwidth), one USB input, a digital optical audio out, an analog audio out (3.5mm), and composite in (adapter required)|
|Dimensions||For the 65-inch version, the VESA mount size is 300x300 mm. The TV's stand has two positions, a narrow one measuring 26.5" x 12.7" and a wide one measuring 50.7" x 12.7".|
|Black Frame Insertion||Has an optional black frame insertion feature|
|Motion Interpolation||Supports motion interpolation to interpolate content from 30 fps to 60 fps|
|Refresh Rate||Supports variable refresh rate technology with FreeSync and HDMI Forum VRR|
|Power Consumption||Consumes 73W under normal operation and up to 242W at maximum|
|Smart Features||Uses Google TV as its smart interface with access to the Google Play Store for app downloads. Features Google Assistant with built-in microphone support for voice control.|
|Sound Quality||Mediocre sound quality with weak bass performance.|
Experience High-Quality Visuals with Impressive Gaming Performance
The most important feature of this TV is its high contrast ratio, allowing for deep blacks and an immersive viewing experience.
Key Features and Benefits:
- High Contrast Ratio: The TV offers a native contrast ratio of 7,775:1, enabling deep blacks and enhanced image quality.
- 4K Resolution: It displays 720p, 1080p, and 4k content well, providing a crisp and detailed image.
- Gaming Performance: It's excellent for gaming with low input lag, quick response time, and support for variable refresh rate.
- Brightness: The TV is bright in Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) with good brightness to overcome glare, making it suitable for well-lit rooms.
- Smart Features: It uses Google TV as its smart interface, providing access to the Google Play Store for app downloads and features Google Assistant for voice control.
Potential Drawbacks of This QLED TV
The main concern with this QLED TV appears to be its inconsistent performance in various aspects of picture quality, particularly concerning local dimming, upscaling of lower-resolution content, and narrow viewing angles.
- Inadequate Local Dimming: The local dimming feature raises the black level and causes blooming, which can disrupt the overall picture quality.
- Poor Upscaling of Low-Resolution Content: The TV struggles to properly upscale 480p content like DVDs, which might be a setback for users who frequently watch content in this resolution.
- Narrow Viewing Angle: The image quality deteriorates when the TV is viewed from the side due to its narrow viewing angle. This could limit the watching experience for larger groups or rooms with unconventional seating arrangements.
- Mediocre Sound Quality: The sound quality of the TV is reported to be mediocre, with weak bass performance. This may require the additional purchase of external speakers or a soundbar for an optimal audio experience.
- Comparatively Lower Performance: When compared to other models in its range, this TV falls short in several aspects such as local dimming, upscaling lower-resolution content, and out-of-the-box accuracy, which might make other models more appealing to potential buyers.
A TV Worth Considering?
The TCL 5 Series/S546 2021 QLED TV is a solid choice for those who prioritize gaming or watching high-quality content. Its high contrast ratio and ability to display 720p, 1080p, and 4K content well makes it suitable for movie buffs, while the low input lag, quick response time, and variable refresh rate support make it an excellent choice for gamers. However, the TV's inability to properly upscale 480p content like DVDs, and its narrow viewing angle could be disappointing for some users.
The TV's sound quality is not its strongest feature, with a mediocre performance and weak bass. However, its smart features, powered by Google TV, could be a selling point for those who value the convenience of voice control and the ability to download apps from the Google Play Store. Nevertheless, based on the comparison with other models, it seems there are options in the market that offer better local dimming, out-of-the-box accuracy, and upscaling of lower-resolution content. Therefore, while the TCL 5 Series/S546 2021 QLED TV offers decent performance, it may not be the best choice for everyone.